You mess with Harpo Marx, you get the horns.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Office 2007 Sucks

The Fandos are just starting to crawl out of our moving experience, though we still have about four thousand boxes to unpack, about half of which will contain things we thought we needed but don't and will promptly burn.

In the meantime, as part of my new day job (What, you thought this was it?), I'm having to be exposed to Office 2007.

After just a few minutes with this application, I can authoritatively tell you that it sucks.

All right, I'll give it another chance.

After a few more minutes, let me revise my opinion to "Sucks times infinity."

Office 2007 does the trifecta of poor software design:

1. It alters the very familiar interface in such a way as to make common functions near impossible to find without looking up the details on the Internet. The menus are now tabs* in a big section called the "Ribbon," which does nothing so much as remind me how useless this new version is compared to an electric typewriter. In addition, the tabs/menus are altered so that I can find little of what I need. The line spacing has been unnecessarily complicated, and basic functions, such as Save, Open, etc. have been hidden in an obnoxiously designed little bastard called the "Office Button."**

2. It needlessly takes up gobs of space in the window, limiting the space you have for trivial things like, oh... formatting your spreadsheet, building your presentation, writing vitriolic hate mail to the gits in Redmond who thought this crap interface up... that sort of thing.

3. It provides no option for reverting to the previous layout save uninstalling the whole bloody mess and reinstalling your reliable Office 2003 suite, the one that looks like the other versions and has things where you and 90% of the Earth's population expect them to be. The best you can do is to "minimize" the "Ribbon" so that it resembles the old menu bar, only from some peculiar planet where "Home" makes more sense than "File" for a Menu bar. Even then, once you open the Menus, the "Ribbon" opens again as your only misbegotten option to do anything, provided you can find what you're looking for in all the visual mess.

Sucks times infinity.

There was some geezer in the Toronto Globe and Mail who sort of liked the thing, writing that he was growing tired of the old interface. This is the type of bloke who would grow tired of doorknobs because getting in and out of places is far less important to him than figuring out new and exciting ways of turing the latch. There's a word for such a philosophy: Mental.

As far as I can tell, Office 2007 is a going away present for Bill Gates, as he steps down as Microsoft Chairman. It's a perfect present. It'll sell in the millions and piss off every customer Microsoft has, just the sort of thing every would-be king wants the power to do.

*For some reason, the software industry has a mania for tabs, even though the Windows Taskbar does the same thing better, in that you can organize the windows the way you like. It's maddenly stupid, and I blame Firefox, the originators of this crapulent style. I expect it will wear off, just like the nuclear winter fad. Until then, we're stuck with the ruddy things. I just turn them off in Internet Explorer.

**Until Office 2007 came out, most Microsoft workers thought this was the button on the back of Gates' head that turned his robotic body off for the evening.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree; albeit no comments were posted here ever since you wrote this article, I don't believe people abide to the joke Micro$oft calls Office 2007. Or even Window$ itelf.

3/30/2010 1:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off course there are no comments on this article. It is because there is no comments about how much office 2007 SUCKS!!! I canĀ“t underestand how a megacompany full of people ready to monopolize all the software industry does not have a bastard capable of improve the package. It is true that there was no change... I could do the same type of plots, charts, letters and presentations with the 15 years old Office. nothing has changed. It is still the same tool but just worse.

4/08/2010 6:34 pm  
Blogger Earl Fando said...

Now we're talking.

4/24/2010 1:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucks times infinity is an understatement. I am a very patient person, but Office 2007 makes me mad... very very mad. I don't think I have ever truly hated software before. I have thought software sucked before but I could deal with it. Office 2007 is just wretched though.

5/23/2010 5:59 pm  
Blogger NaturalBornChiller said...

Even though I'm a bit late, I've been exposed to Office 2007 as well lately, and this is definitely the most amazing instance of user interface terrorism I have ever witnessed.

Not even the stupidest of all "average joe" users can find this useful, even THEY are used to normal menus.

I recently had to work a lot at a client's office where they have Office 2007, and I've been openly swearing all the time while I had to write something up with that bitch, I didn't really care anymore at some point.

Oh, and know what? The different heading styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) that were formerly in a dropdown menu now are arranged from left to right as little pictures in that "ribbon", and guess what: in the German version, there appearently wasn't enough room for their descriptions to fit, so they're all called "Heading ...", with no other visual clues as to which heading level that is: You have to count each time.

9/13/2010 1:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely horrid piece of software. And I'm forced to use it because the artard IT department in my company migrated my boss from Office 2003 to 2007. So I have to go along with it or he won't be able to open my files. (bullshit).

Eff Office 2007 and eff that little ribbon up the ass a million times.

12/06/2011 1:22 pm  
Blogger Earl Fando said...

I sometimes like to imagine that the majority of these comments come from Microsoft employees. It could happen.

2/14/2012 2:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Office 2007 has more bugs then the amazon. It has every bug and problem that office 2003 had, and then some more.
I always lived with those problems and just accepted it, but why should i have to with this crap version of office 2007?
by the way, if you think office 2007 sucks, office 2010 will slap you in the face sucks. Its a whole lot worse than the 2007 version.

2/18/2012 12:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

office 2007 is horrid. there are more features (aka bugs) then in previous versions. they left the problems that the old ones had, and added problems that worked flawlessly in the older version.
Compatibility checker sucks! it says i have links to other workbooks, yet i am unable to find those links, even after looking at the data tab and seeing "links" is greyed out. someone should shoot the developers of this version in the face. office 2010 is even worse!!!!!!!!!

3/28/2012 10:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home