The Best of DoUI for 2010
Once again it's time for us to toot our horns. (That was a relief! Memo to self, skip the staff chili breakfasts from now on.)
It's also time for a review of the bits, posts, and random keyboard strikes that we've chosen as our best for the year. I should say, mostly MY best, as Nuffy and Stew have been more intermittent, having better things to do like golfing, writing great American screenplays, and watching episodes of 24 in high-definition television.
- Five Years Older - Nuffy comments on our fifth anniversary. At least that's what we think he was writing about.
- Goodness Is Out, The Chin Is In - Chins can be cruel sometimes.
- Even More Academy Bestness! - Earl's annual review of the Oscar Best Picture nominees. They always seem weirder in print.
- Olympic Update - Stew posts about the Olympics. Hell, Stew posts, period!
- Comforting Words for the Unwise - You'd think at a funeral there's not a lot you could say that would offend the deceased. Apparently, there is.
- France Surrenders! - In the 2010 World Cup, just in case you were worried that Andorra had gone all Nazi.
- Somebody Cut Me on Purpose! - All the personal details from Earl's hernia surgery, because we know you want them.
- The Most Interesting Man in the World - Outtakes - Sure he can feed mountain eagles and cliff dive, but with a life like that he's going to be easily distracted.
- Electric Nose Hair Trimmer? I Thought that Was the Turn Signal! - They're putting all sorts of things in luxury cars these days, whether you want them or not.
- Return of the Original Best Thing Ever - The Great American Screenplay,Nuffy-style!
- On This Day - The stories behind the innocuous, dull, mind-numbingly boring historical tidbits.
- Scorin' Warren - According to Peter Biskind, Warren Beatty was always on the make. As Groucho once said of Harpo, "He does better in his sleep than I do awake."
- How to Annoy People - Part 767 - Tips on how to make people want to throttle you. Guaranteed to inspire violent nervous breakdowns or derisive ridicule.
- Nothing Is Funny, A Lament for Conan O'Brien -Nuffy discusses the Conan/Jay imbroglio. Unfortunately, he doesn't offer us a definition as to what an "imbroglio" is.
- Now That's a Warm Bed! - Hotels are experimenting with human "bed-warmers." Admittedly, that's better than "bed-wetters."
- The Incredible Lobster Bisque! - Soup is not only good food, it can do 100 chin-ups in a single sitting.
- Missin' Cakey - Four words: cartoon, Cakey the Clown. It's irresistible, just like a train wreck.
- Nashville, Here I Come! - Earl pens country music titles. Yeah, like that's hard.
- Super Bowl Surprises - Lots of things happen during the Super Bowl and we don't always catch all of them.
- A Valentine's Day Greetings - Cakey the Clown hearts you. No, that's not some disgusting sex act... sheesh ...you people, sometimes!
- Valentine's Day Advice Worth Ignoring - There's nothing quite so touchingly sincere as personal advice from celebrities as part of movie promotions.
- Bum-Bum-Da-Bum-Bum, Bum-Bum-Da-Bum-Bum - The Winter Olympics! Yeah, we know, but it was nearby in Canada.
- It's All Downhill for the Lynx - Animal competitors at the Olympics! (Well, besides Bode Miller.)
- Shatner Gold... Olympic Gold - William Shatner was part of the official Olympic ceremonies. Well, of course he was!
- Five Times Better Live Blog - Nuffy Noe live blogged the Oscars for us last year. At least, we think it was the Oscars.
- HOLY HORSE GRENADES! Up at last! - More of Nuffy's Oscar blogging from the cheap seats, supposedly.
- Ick! - The Oscar blogging intrigue gets even more interesting. For example, just what exactly has Jack Nicholson been eating?
- Getting April Fool's Day Right - Because we know you care as much as we do.
- Things Star Trek Can Teach NASA - Let's face it, the folks at NASA need all the help they can get these days.
- Adult Soccer League - No, it's not what your thinking, you pervs.
- Vuvuzela Nightmare - We can still hear them.
- I Can Has Nausea - The end of Western Civilization? Well, the end of our lunches in our stomachs, that's for sure.
- Salt, Is There Anything It Can't Do? Redux - Salt, the other white meat.
- No Ma'am, I Never Meant to Rock You at All - What if famous rock lyrics were retracted? Yeah, but it killed 20 minutes on Twitter.
- An Unfortunate Earful - The Most Interesting Man Outtakes, in audio form! Just because we can!
- New for Oktoberfest! Pigs so Hot They'll Melt Your Face Off! - The title tells the story just fine, but did we mention there's cannibalism too?
- Maybe We Should Have Named the School "American University?" - Higher Education marketing is harder than it looks.
- You Never Know What'll Happen in Politics! - But if you guessed something really nutty, congratulations!
- And Yet No Farther than a Won-Ton's Bird - Behold the noble Thanksgiving turkey! And then there's the one we're serving...
- Is There Anybody Out There? - NASA takes a step closer to finding extraterrestrial life, or livening up press conferences
Labels: Best of 2010