The Best of DOUI for 2009
It's that time of year again! It's time to start collecting reciepts and tax information in preparation for the arduous tax forms you'll be finishing three months from now. In the meantime though, why not check out the Best of our 2009 posts as chosen by the Nobel Peace Prize Committee!*
(Apologies as some of the videos are not working. Nuffy's on it.)
The Top 12**
- Besting Loose at the Oscars - The annual review of Oscar Best Picture nominees, including a delightful appearance by the Vaught Corsair.
- Where, What, When, How? - An actual Stew Miller post! Stew explains his lengthy absence.
- Best April Fools' Day Pranks - People are still shaking their heads about these.
- Jorge and Cakey, together again forever - Jorge Carlito Viejo and Cakey the Clown, arguing like an old married couple, if the couple were comprised of an urbane television producer and a disgruntled, especially frightening clown.
- I Hope Your Heart is Gentled - Yes it is, if by "gentled" you mean haunted with deeply troubled dreams of clowns.
- Excremando and George Takei, the True Hollywood Story - It's not what you think, thank heavens, with all due respect to Mr. Takei.
- Holiday Snaps! - Pictures from the Fando's holiday in Ireland and some amazing discoveries. Also, Earl's brush with a 600-foot cliff.
- MMMMMM...Liquid Sugar - Donuts. Magical, mysterious donuts!
- Regarding Street Performances - Earl tied a guy up in a straightjacket in Boston. No, it wasn't Stew or Nuffy.
- AMA = American Mental Awareness - Some guy named Stew Miller checks out the American Music Awards. Miller... hmmm... sounds familiar.
- Vim, Vigor, Vitality, Voom! - Earl describes his fitness efforts. Remember to dress when getting the morning paper.
- My Friends, We Are All Interested in the Future... - Time travel, science, birds, and a baguette. That's just what the scientists have come up with.
The Best of the Rest
- Lunchtime Capsules - No, we're not referring to the Jetsons midday meal. Rather, these are a few passing notes and bits from the mid-day hour last January.
- Okay, So the Speeches Weren't Golden - However, in today's economy, this kind of tin-plated rhetoric is worth a lot more than you'd think.
- Surprises at the Big Obama Bash - We knew it was a big party but good grief.
- A Big, Big Year in Films? - Speaking of big, big, big! OK, so it wasn't that big. Still, it was wacked, and for us that made it special.
- MMMMM!!! Poached kittens!! - Or so it would be if PETA's little publicity campaign had done its dread work. (We're exaggerating just a little for effect here, so play along.)
- Putting a Full Nelson on Bacon - Some helpful advice for Michael J. Nelson of MST3K and Rifftrax fame and his heroic "month o' bacon" diet, which we plan to try as soon as we can wean ourselves off of pork chops and prime rib.
- What's that buzzing about in Bill's brain? - Mosquitoes, surprisingly enough. And people wonder why Windows is always full of bugs.
- Crawling Back to Fitness - The beginning of Earl's fitness journey (35 pounds ago).
- Blogging, blogging, BLOGGING!! - Technically, Stew's post should have been titled, "Brownies, brownies, BROWNIES!!"
- Salt: Is There Anything It Can't Do? - Earl loves salt the way Homer Simpson loves donuts.
- Minnnniiiissstteeeerrr!!!!! - William Shatner as Prime Minister of Canada. Who says Christmas presents only come once a year?
- Post-St. Patrick's Day News Capsules - For those of you who woke up a week later.
- Nuffy Returns to Love You - Nuffy eulogises the late, great presidential candidate Pip Clowson, who is still rolling over in his grave.
- Nuffy Presents: A Cartoon - It's not exactly Warner Brothers or Disney.
- Cartoons Will Heal America - More animation brilliance from Nuffy. It's heartbreakingly moving, if you like this sort of thing.
- Pip's Cartoon Calvalcade - Yet another cartoon. Imagine the odds of that.
- The Story So Far - A cartoon analyzing the likely outcomes of a Jorge Carlito Viejo vs. Cakey Clown battle royale. Heavy violence predicted.
- Cakey and Jorge, the Final Chapter - It's not, of course.
- Yes, It WAS the Last Chapter - No, no, it wasn't. Really. Who are you going to believe?
- Twittering Away about Crappy Pub Names - There's an old tradition of odd, peculiar names for pubs. With a name like Earl's, this was a natural interest for him.
- On the Contrary, Nuffulupagus - More banter about Star Trek videos, George Takei, and Sesame Street. One of these things is not like the others.
- Jorge's Cake Hole - Legal trouble for Jorge and Cakey. Let's hope the Irish Garda go easy. Cakey's a handful when cornered.
- Poetry and Truthiness - A rhyme and a little of your time. That's all Nuffy asks. Kind viewer, grant him his wish.
- The Next Big Trending Twitter Topic - These never did catch on for some odd reason.
- Twitter is the Worst - Nuffy's skeptical of the 140 word virtual gabfest.
- Darby O'Earl and the Little People - Earl looks ahead to the Fando's trip to Ireland.
- Footy Notes - World football. Pretty deranged stuff, quite frankly. Someone should have a chat with Sepp Blatter.
- The Last Hey-O into the Sunset - Ed MaMahon, R.I.P.
- The Mother of All Memorial Services - Michael Jackson, R.I.P. Who can believe the way he went out?
- Trending Cowboys - Yes, we know it sounds like an Andy Warhol movie. It's not. Really.
- Matt Damon, Man of a Thousand Activities - Such a renaissance man, but Sarah Silverman?
- News Regarding Our Kitty Overlords - You have nothing to fear from the good kitty, kitty, kitty.
- Houston, We Have A Problem - Now we know what the difference between Apollo number 1 and Apollo number II is. What the heck is Apollo XI though?
- The Twitter Lowdown - This is how Earl spends his time on Twitter.
- Sweet Empty Calories - A song parody. Lyrics only but you can just hear it in your head.
- The Worst of the Worst of the Worst, Sir! With Honors! - Bad, bad films. What's not to love?
- Thanksgiving Faux Pas - Things NOT to do at Thanksgiving. Repeat: NOT to do.
- The Luck of the Irish? - FIFA responds to Ireland's pleas for footballing justice.
- Christmas Faux Pas - Things NOT to do at Christmas. Listen, are you getting this? It's NOT to do. We're getting troubling reports.
* Not really. They couldn't be bothered to breakaway from their marathon game of canasta.
** Yes, 12. Deal with it. I realize there are quite a lot of my posts in there this year. Couldn't be helped, I'm afraid. Deal with it, again.
Labels: Best of 2009