That Is One Smokin' Golf Swing
A golfer in California has a game so hot, it started a wildfire.
The reality of what happened to the poor, unnamed duffer is that he hit a rock during a swing and the resultant sparks ingnited a blaze that, according to the AP source in the article, covered 25 acres.
As Jay Busbee of Yahoo!'s Devil Ball Golf blog points out, "This is going to inspire a raft of bad Sportscenter-esque 'When we say he set the course on fire, he really set the course on fire!' jokes." Well, of course it is! This is like your birthday and Christmas present rolled into one. Frankly, this sort of thing deserves some really bad jokes. I didn't even bother looking at the comments section for the article, in case someoine beat me to one of these.
- Ball before rock, dude. Ball before rock.
- As it turns out, starting a fire is a two-stroke penalty.
- Playing the course was on his bucket list. Apparently, it took 1000 buckets to pour out the fire.
- If only the guy was near a sand trap. With his swing he could have buried that fire in under 3 strokes.
- On the bright side, the golfer was a Boy Scout. He got his fire-starting merit badge out of the deal.
- It wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't double-bogied the hole.
- Can Tiger's year get any worse?
- Nice shot Johnny Blaze! Next time ride your freakin' flaming golf cart to the tennis courts, willya?
- The sad part is, 20 minutes after they put out the fire the course sprinklers came on.
- You know you've had a bad round when the firefighters have to play through.
- Make you kinda long for the good old days of wooden clubs.
- Good thing this guy's ball didn't land next to some uranium.