Obsessiones al Fando
For those of you following Bill Corbett's "Next Big Obsession" contest over at the RiffTrax blog, you'll know that Brit was the big winner with "rubbish waxworks" for $500 Alex... erm, Bill. Congratulations to Brit!
This means that I can now dwell upon my own obsession suggestions (unless there's some sort of copyright thingy that I was unaware of when I submitted my post) here, where all seven to twelve of you, per day, will scan over them quickly before popping off to Facebook or My Space.
My original suggestion is reprinted below, with a few revisions and extensions for the sake of surrealism.
1. The scary resemblance between David Hassellhoff and Dan Marino (possibly the same person). Our family often cannot tell them apart at all. During Marino's heyday with the Dolphins, I have frequently shouted at the telly, "Will someone bloody sack Knight Rider, already!"
2. Captain Beany (http://www.captainbeany.com/) because, well, how could you not be obsessed about such a character? (I mean, if you aren’t initially repulsed.)
NOTE: Admittedly, I have written on Captain Beany before. However, like beans themselves, you can never get enough.
3. Japanese Henshin Superheroes. (That’s “Henshin,” NOT “Hentai”). These guys make American superheroes look like well-adjusted bodybuilders in tights. You have to get beyond Power Rangers. Start with Rainbow Man for instance:
By now you realise that this is not the chap with the multi-coloured afro-wig who managed to score tickets to every major American sporting event between 1975-1987. That bloke was together compared to the schizophrenic Japanese version.
Also, that intro doesn’t even begin to hint at how wacked that program was (http://www.henshinhalloffame.com/rainbowman offers more evidence). Add the Kikaidas (motorcycle-riding, instrumentalist, androids with skull deformities), Kaiketsu Lion Maru (a lion/man samurai, of course...claws, sword, teeth...it's like the Tasmanian Devil with a katana), Denjin Zaboga (a robot who turned into a motorcycle* - which made for a creepy ride), and Diamond Eye (his eyes are diamonds… get it? Diamonds!) and you have a special** little world of it’s own.
The Henshin Hall of Fame has great details:
More to come on this. After all, these are obsessions.
* Yes, the Japanese obsession is motorcycles
* * and by special, I mean "mental."