A Decade of the Dictionary
Exactly ten years ago today, give or take a nanosecond, we started The Dictionary of Unfortunate Ideas. The whole concept was to give us a place to write humor and you a place to read it. Obviously, this has not been the most active of blogs lately, a problem I hope to rectify soon, but for the first 5-6 years this place was hoppin'.
- The International Hitler Impersonators' Society - Honestly, this is probably one of the best three or four things I've contributed to the DOUI, if not Western culture, and world civilization. Hitler was the worst of the worst, but in movies and elsewhere, someone had to play the stupid bastard. It's only natural that those people should want to get together and discuss their rare craft.
- Best Pictures are worth a thousand words - From the very beginning of DOUI, I have done an annual round up of the Academy Award Best Picture nominees. This was the first one, graphic-free, brief, and brimming with Vought Corsair references (misspelled though they are). Also, as with the latest version, they are blissfully free of actual details about the real films.
- Best Be Besting the Best of the Best - Here is the most recent of the Best Picture round ups, just so you can see how far (or not, depending on your opinion) I've come.
- Two giants of the cinema talk to a small fry - One of my favorite Stew Miller pieces. J. K. Rowling and Peter Jackson have never been so coherent as they are here.
- Something about this movie bugs me - Mansquito gets the Stew Miller treatment. "Isn't it though," remains one of my favorite lines from the blog.
- This is a Paid Commercial Advertisement - The invention of Five Times Better.
- The Forgotten Teletubby - Has it really been eight years since we brought you the tragic story of the worst of the Teletubbies?
- You Say Frankenstein Is How Tall? - Another one of my personal favorites from my own work. If you love monster films, I guarantee you will not hate this. You may even tear up a little bit.
- 300, A Trustworthy Review of Golden Cinema - We write a lot about movies. This review though is essential Noe.
- Go on my heart will, young Skywalker - Another wonderful bit from Mr. Miller, and especially poignant with the new Star Wars films coming out.
- Bond No More - James, James Bond. (Well who did you expect, Ward Bond?)
- June Carter, could you pass me that whoopie cushion? - If only Johnny had gone into comedy.
- Ungawa This, Tarzan! - The picture was "borrowed" but the interview is all us and the legendary Cheetah.