You mess with Harpo Marx, you get the horns.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

...and speaking of golf!

"Bendin' the shafts" got me thinking about my golfing experience over the weekend. On Sunday I played a round with Earl and some of our compatriots at a local course. While playing the par four sixth hole, I did something I haven't done in many years. My second shot, or approach shot as the lingo goes, landed on the opposite side of the green from where the flag was located. Faced with a 70 foot birdie putt I was hoping that I could get it within three or four feet to finish off the hole with a respectable par. So that the reader can get a feel for my experience I will provide a more detailed breakdown of the shot.

Oct. 2, 2005 3:10 pm

I study the shot and determine the speed I want to hit the ball and the break I will play on this 85 ft. putt, which ends up being about five feet to the right of the hole.

3:21 - I let the shot go feeling relatively confident that I have taken all of the variables into consideration.

3:21:22 - As the ball proceeds on its 200 ft. path to the hole I have a few seconds to breathe, catch up on some correspondence, write a treatise on Speebek's Third Law, and provide an alternative proof of Fermat's last theorem.

3:28 - The ball has now made half of the 2000 ft journey to the hole and I have made camp at the 19,000 ft. level of Mt. Everest as my Sherpa guides are exhausted.

3:45 - The ball makes its way through the Khumbu Icefall and is now on the way to the final 1000 ft. to the hole as I rouse the Sherpas and we continue to the hole wondering what we may find.

3:52 - Through binoculars I see the ball fall into the hole and we break out the celebratory champagne and buckwheat pancakes that the Sherpa's have brought along. A small monument is left on the green to mark the occasion and we continue down to base camp to get ready for the next hole.

So you can understand my enthusiam at the putt and results. I do miss Tenshing and Nemba though, we'll always live with the memories of those plucky little Nepalese... Excuse me, it's tough you know. Mmmm hmmm, needless to say, we'll be looking forward to the next round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home