You mess with Harpo Marx, you get the horns.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Welcome to Computer Hell

In case you've been wondering why I haven't posted in the last few days, for the last 26 hours I've been in the land of Computer Hell. A server at work has failed, one that just happen to have all the data for the application I administrate.

Imagine a tree falling in the forest. The tree lands on the foot of a lone traveler. The traveler screams in pain. There are many expletives.

I am that traveler.

The worst part is that the application we're trying to get working stores data in a very peculiar way. Instead of a set database that can be easily backed up and supported, this programme stores data in a variety of files that are linked together in some way or another. So if there is any file corruption or errors, the programme in Windows that fixes this, CHKDSK, might damage files in the application so that the links between them don't work.

This is what in the computer world is known as a "bad idea."

Actually, if you ask someone directly, they'll tell you it's known as a "*%#$@&! *&%$@#?! bad idea!"

Oh, and our backup system hasn't been working properly.

Please someone sponsor this blog for some outlandish sum of money so I can do this full time and not what I'm doing now.

Is fantasy one of the stages of grief?

Anyway, I may get to post again this evening. I have many things I want to write about: Anthropomorphic Restaurant characters, children's school projects, Tom Cruise getting food poisoning from placenta, why computer programmers should be subject to corporal punishment, etc.

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home