You mess with Harpo Marx, you get the horns.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

"It's in da hole!"

Consider this a late Valentine's Day, post...late mainly, because I wouldn't want to ruin your actual Valentine's Day with this rubbish.

One thing I have noticed though is an alarming trend toward the free use of certain expressions as euphemisms for sex. I'm sure you know what I mean: "Hide the bangers," "Raise the misen-mast," "Upload the application"...that sort of thing. As a film buff, I've observed that many of these expressions are coming right out of the cinema. Here are a few of the more common ones.

  • Wax on, wax off - The Karate Kid
  • We're gonna need a bigger boat. - Jaws
  • Expecto Patronum!!!! (usually with obvious winking) - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban
  • It's in da hole! - Caddyshack
  • Klaatu barada nikto (heavy emphasis on the "nikto" part) - The Day the Earth Stood Still
  • I'm Batman - Batman
  • Show me the money! - Jerry Maguire
  • I'm melting! Melting! - The Wizard of Oz
  • Excuse me while I whip this out - Blazing Saddles
  • Candygram! - Blazing Saddles
  • Much of the rest of Blazing Saddles, the bean-eating scene excluded
  • Have you ever spent time in a Turkish Prison? - Airplane
  • Stella!!! - A Streetcar Named Desire
  • Pull ze String! Pull ze String!! - Glen or Glenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home