The Best of DOUI for 2007
Well, another year has come, stamped on top of our heads repeatedly, and then stalked off because we wouldn't share our twiglets with it. That's time for you, the right bastard. It's only a concept, but it's a vicious one.
Add to that the fact that the participation by the members was the weakest in our 3 year history and you will understand why this year's "Best of" post is a trifle shorter than in previous years. However, we hope to make 2008 the "annus mirabilis" for the Dictionary of Unfortunate Ideas, so stay tuned! Right Stew and Nuffy?
Guys? Mates? Anyone??
(Come on guys, I wrote "Annus!" It's Latin for year! Don't get the wrong idea!!)
Anyway, here are the selections.
The Top 20
- Lady Libertine - Stew explains why statue-naming can be so hazardous.
- Party? Quirks? - Earl describes the mayhem at the annual DOUI party, were we to actually have one.
- Super Bowl Ads You'll Never See - We do Super Bowl Ads.
- Could I have that in a sentence, please? - When spelling bees go bad.
- The Best of the Best of the Best, Sir!!! - Earl's Annual Oscar Best Picture roundup. As is traditional, the Vaught Corsair features prominently.
- Send in the clowns...then gun them down. - Stew memorialises tragic clowns. No, seriously.
- 300, a Trustworthy Review of Golden Cinema - Nuffy saw it so that you don't have too.
- When Food Shows Go Bad - The Food Network has an off week.
- Tube Escalator Skiing or The Lives of Bored Idiots - Hobbies for the mental.
- A Less Than Rosie View - Why did Rosie flee The View? Earl offers some suggestions.
- A World Without America? Bloody Hell. - The Oxford debate, were Earl invited, or indeed, even allowed in the room.
- The Perils of Adaptation... - Screenwriters and novels... The mind boggles.
- You Say Frankenstein Is How Tall? - Toho, giant monsters, and Frankenstein - The greats.
- The New Football - Football (soccer) goes intellectual. (Inspired by a Python bit, if you must know.)
- The Silence of the Doughnuts - Orson Welles and doughnuts. Why has this not happened before?
- Independence Day Hangover - Fourth of July in the USA. It's more than just firecrackers and Lee Greenwood songs.
- Humans vs. Birds - I like our odds - Birds - 1, Earl - nil.
- The How You Going to Say Movie What is Bad - Jorge emerges from hiding to review Superbad.
- Jorge and Warwick, Together Again for the First Time - Sure, anything to keep Jorge writing. Please forward all restraining orders to his e-mail address.
- The International Hitler Impersonators' Society - Face it, it's a tough business... especially with all the cyanide and piano wire.
The Best of the Rest
- Critically Panned - Ever wonder who reviews the people who review the entertainment industry? Why, we do... right here!
- Oh Wiki, You're So Fine - Wikipedia has more in it that you'd ever think. More than they'd ever think as well.
- Degranulation of the Basophils - Nuffy responds to Earl's Wikipedia challenge... we think.
- Nuffy's Challenge - The actual answer's to Earl's challenge... if you're gullible or something.
- The Happiest Man in the World...after Brad Pitt we mean. - Real happiness is a bit trickier to obtain for some people
- I suppose it's better than the "Dry Heaves." - The new ABA - Funnier names than the old one.
- We were NOT amused!!!!!!! - Stew analyses the Oscar Best Dames race.
- A brand new Vista to stumble through. - Apparently, Windows Vista isn't all it's cracked up to be.
- I think it'll play well in Little Havana. - Some movie formulas never get old.
- Earth declared not to be a planet! - What's next? Madonna declared to be an actress?
- Not again, you randy buttlerfly! - Butterflies in the laboratory and bats in the belfry.
- Far Out Space Nuts - Astronaut diapers. No word on the binkies, yet.
- Fa! Pa! Whee! Nee! Boom!!! - We know it looks like a Jonathan Ross transcription, but it's about dolphins.
- OK - Here are all the posts from the moment... - New Blogger almost single-handedly spoilt our Live Oscar Blog - but we found a way. (Scroll down from the top for the whole thing.)
- Oscar Defied Me - Nuffy's recap of the Oscars. All right, it's a bit subjective.
- Offensive U.S. State Names - If you can stomach the outrage.
- Captain America Snuffs It - Bucky is there with all the dirt on the Captain's demise.
- Am I getting on your nerves, Luke? - Life with Obi-Wan ...even though he's dead.
- And now for a word from the Dark Side... - Darth Vader goes Madison Avenue.
- The race to be President! - The US Presidential election season heats up, Only 18 months to go!
- The Amazing World of Laura Croft - Despite the title, it's about much more than her brassiere.
- Workin' Out Wid' Weights! - The extreme workout that injured Earl ...his brain, apparently.
- Coming to America (The Queen that is) - Her Majesty does America. ...No, that's not what we meant at all!
- Well, I warned them. - Earl calls out Stew and Nuffy. Brutal stuff.
- R2-D2 said what? - Redd Foxx was originally R2-D2? Who knew?
- A Thursday Poem - What can we say... we liked the poem.
- Mourning - Jorge remembers the legendary Mark Northover.
- Welcome to Harry Potter Land! - The next big theme-park ripoff.
- Busker's Delight - Busking, Earl Fando style.
- The All-New Designer Body Sketch! - Imagine an all-new you!
- Irritated by Internet Lingo? - We know we are ... or would be if we had any idea what it all meant.
- The next 30 rounds are on William! - His Royal Highness comes into some swag.
- Sneaking back in...I hope. - Why it's Stew Miller! Fancy meeting him here.
- How to Die Laughing - Going out with a smile.
- The New Seven Wonders - Stew wonderfully wonders about wonders.
- Van Helsing of Staten Island - A sordid tale of vampire hunters, Mad Dog, and wastebins.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Multiplex - The continuing saga of Jo Rowling's ever-burgeoning banque accounts.
- Potter Madness - The Final Chapter - The final Potter book is released to widespread, uncritical acclaim and pandemonium. We feel a migraine coming on.
- Potter Partying - Advice for those going to book release parties. Does not include first-aid techniques.
- Codeine! - Almost like the Eric Clapton song. You know, the one about Bogata doughnut powder.
- Naming Bourne Films - Jason Bourne is watching you.
- My First MRI - by Earl Fando - And yet, not a single joke about Earl's magnetic personality.
- Elvis and Me - Strange coincidences regarding the King of Rock and Roll and the Earl of Fando.
- Quiet Person Goes Quietly into the Quiet Night - A Marcel Marceau tribute to make one weep whilst walking against the wind.
- Jorge and His Unending Weirdly-Accented Disgrace - Nuffy calls out Jorge. The smackdown begins.
- Nuffy Noe is the Terrible Poet - Jorge swings back. The smackdown ends.
- Everything in a Single Go - Multiple universes and Cameron Diaz. In one of them, even Donald Trump is bound to get lucky.
- So Handsome, So Round - Jorge misses Orson Welles. So do the wine makers.
- Round Men and Beverages - A Contemporary Vision - Adverts could use a touch of class ala Orson.
- We Built this City on Bad Lists - Part I - Who doesn't like a good list of bad pop songs? However, we were left with this crap one.
- Hollywood = America's Angriest Rage-Hole - And you thought it was just Alex Baldwin.
- We Built This City on Bad Lists - Part II - Bad lists and the bad songs that should have made them.
- The Human What? - Not every super power is dead sexy glamourous.
- Viva Knievel! No More - The crazed motorbike and orthoscopy enthusiast makes that last big leap into the sky.
- Earl Fando's Guide to Kids' TV for Grown Ups - Articles like these make you want to be a kid again ...so you can turn off the television and play outside for a few hours.
Here's looking forward to 2008.